TRS Drone Pilot Training for Tower and Structure Inspection
June 21, 2016
Welcome to our newest training course
“Drone Pilot Training” Full Certification training for commercial use of UAV Drones for High Definition Video Documentation:
2 Day 16 hour Training Course
4 Student Minimum (If less than 4 students – a flat rate minimum will apply) – 6 Student Maximum
Yuneec Q500 4K Drone INCLUDED (See details below)
CALL 719-966-9922 for pricing and scheduling
Tower Inspection – Structure Inspection – Bridge Inspection – Fire Service Emergency Scene Documentation and Training – Police Services Scene Documentation and Training Construction Site Inspection and Documentation – Arborists – Aerial Photography
- Pre Climb – May eliminate the need to climb – SAFETY
- Inspect Climbing Path
- Ladder Connections and Contition
- Inspect Ladder Climb Safety Connections
- Weld Inspection
- Lightning Strike Damage
- Connections – Stress clips and cable condition
- Insulator Condition
- Guywire Connections – Safety Wire Status
- Weather / Storm Damage – Determine if safe to climb
- Paint Condition – Color Condition – Faded still meet requirements
- Lighting Status and Condition
- Regulations, Requirements and Standards review
- Commercial Operations Review
- Definitions and Types of SUAV Drones
- Process of Registering a Drone
- Flight Operations
- Owner’s Manual Review
- FAA Requirements
- Initial Operation Experience and Flight Supervision
- Standard Inspection – Site – Route – Data – Documentation
- Expected Outcome – Flight Recording and Video Data
- Actual Flight Operation of Aircraft – Flight Checks – Procedures
- Flight Operations Documentation
- Flight Simulation Time – Class
- Actual flight time around our training tower.
- “Target Practice” Find all of our 10 hidden “targets” on the tower to hone your pilot skills and video skills
- Review how to best organize, use and store your footage.
- Complete a written test
- Complete a practical SUAV Pilot Proficiency test
- End of course edit some of your best footage in a Quik “Music Video”
- You will receive ALL footage from the class
What you Receive when you successfully completed course
- Certificate of Successful Completion
- Photo ID Certification w/ Certification Numbers
- Copies of all the Flight Log Sheets (actual and simulation)
- Copies of all the Pre-flight Documentation
- Copies of all the Job Briefing Sheets
- Copies of all the Test results
- Copies of all the Drone Registration (that apply)
- Copies of all the video footage
- Included Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Drone Kit (if applicable)
Frequently Asked Questions…
1. What are the regulations?
As of June 21, 2016 the Standards and requirements have changed. Here are a few links of the standards, regulations and requirements we follow:
2. What if we only want the service of site inspection and documentation and not to own a Drone or be trained as a Drone Pilot?
TRS offers that service as well. We can come to your site, conduct and complete the video inspection, data input, documentation, logging and supply you with a complete, highest quality professional documented project. All for a competitive price. Call 719-966-9922 for details.
3. Do you have to be a certified tower climber to sign up?
No – If you are a certified climber, Great… It is not a requirement. See next question if you would like to be…
4. Can we get the training at our location?
Yes – We are willing and able travel to your location. Call for details.
5. What if there are only one or two of us interested?
We do have a minimum cost for the training. We can advertise a class on a specific date with openings to fill the course. If needed we have a minimum flat rate cost we charge. We then can host the course for one, two or three students.
6. Can we get training as a Certified Tower Climber Rescuer and add this course to our training?
YES – Great question – We can have you sign up for our 2 day Authorized Climber / Rescuer and add a 3rd day of Drone Pilot Training to your course. Because several of the regulations and tower site inspection training crosses over we can combine the training together completing both in a customized 24 hour training course. (Drone Included Price will be adjusted accordingly) Course Student minimum and maximum will apply. Call 719-966-9922 for details.
7. Do I have to be a licensed FAA Pilot?
No – The new standards, regulations and requirements (Part 107) now make it clearer and more comprehensive to follow and understand. Listed below is a link to their new website:
8. Are Drones difficult to fly?
Yes and No
Yes, if you are not trained. The technology is amazing, however, because the commercial application of flying around structures, training is imperative. Proper training involves several key components:
- Understanding the regulations
- Pre Flight Review and Drone Inspection
- Site Job Briefings
- Actual Flying time to learn how to fly the remote controlled UAV
- Simulator time is a significant opportunity in learning how to fly without the risk of an expensive crash
No, Because of the technology allows for a much faster learning curve
- Drones with “Safe Mode” helps in learning referencing and the stability
- GPS and Connectivity Technology
- Also, the cost has come down to a point that if a crash occurs, you are not out $3000.00 to $10,000.00
9. What is the difference between a Drone and a Quadcopter?
- Not much, and a lot depending on their designed use.
- Some say a Drone is a unmanned remote controlled aircraft operated by the military for surveillance or to carry weapons
- Some say the correct reference to a small unmanned aircraft with 4 blades is a quadcopter – Mainly considered a hobby SUAV
- Bottom line… The term Drone is accepted universally for UAV Hobby, Commercial or Miilitary.
Why TRS Training is Different…
Real World Application
I (Steve Fleming) will be your Drone Pilot Instructor. I established TRS in 1986 and have taught adults in Emergency Services, Fall Protection, Construction and the Tower Climbing Industry for over 37 years.
Licensed as a FAA Pilot
As a licensed Glider and Single Engine Pilot have the skills and knowledge to share with you how the Commercial Drone Pilot and FAA can work together.
Experience in Actual Tower Climbing Work
As a Competent Climber / Rescuer Instructor and Commercial Tower Climber I can share the way tower climbers and Drone pilots can work together.
Our Training Facility
We have a 100’ three leg self-supporting tower with 10 “training targets” and an actual antenna to hone your Drone Pilot skills within 15 steps from the classroom.
- We have a large screen computer simulator for the “ground school”.
We can travel to your location. Call us for details
Yuneec Q500 4K Drone INCLUDED
NOTE: If you have your own Drone or choose another model Drone that is fine… We will adjust the “Drone included” price for your training accordingly.
We are not a dealer of Drones or “sponsored” by any Drone / Quadcopter manufacturer. We have researched many types and brands. This particular Drone has proven to work very well and meets the regulations and requirements for our training. Many other do as well. Contact us with any questions or comments.
Check out their website:
COST and SAFETY
Our TRS Drone Pilot Training course is priced to be very competitive and complete – INCLUDING the drone. With the technological improvements of this video platform (Drone). Now, with the proper training, allows us to actually video stream, with incredible resolution; training, construction sites, emergency scenes, aerial photography, structures, bridges and towers at height. With this equipment and training you can often eliminate, or lower, the number of times a climber needs to climb. Safety like this is invaluable.
Call us for pricing, services and scheduling options 719-966-9922.