Drone Pilot Tower/Structure Inspection
OSHA Tower Authorized Site Person
NATE Compliant – Unmanned Aerial Systems Operations Around Vertical Communications Infrastructure +
OSHA Compliant – Authorized Person Certification
Our 16 hour training course offers our students, who successfully pass, both an OSHA – ANSI – NATE compliant certification training on “Authorized Tower Person” AND “Tower Inspection Drone Pilot” certifications.
Here is how can we offer both…
Technical Rescue Systems has been training fall protection safety and rescue for 32 years, Telecommunication climber safety and rescue for 19 years and UAS/Drone tower inspection pilot training for 4 years. We have quickly learned the incredible value the UAS/Drone aerial imagery offers to the safety of our tower climbers and the documentation / data uses. The technology is growing exponentially and the business for experienced / educated Drone pilots is even more in demand. For those who having BOTH certifications, you and your business will have an incredible competitive edge over anyone in the UAS/Drone business.
What is the the additional value of having the OSHA recognized “Authorized Person” certification? Our students learn about what to expect on and around the telecommunications site. Types of towers, tower site safety, different types of operations, job safety analysis review, site hazards, technical terminology, RF hazards, what it takes to safely climb towers (for those that choose to climb – not required), climbing path and ladder climbing safety systems.
TRS has a training facility with a 100′ self supporting tower with 12 “inspection targets” for UAS/Drone inspection training and skills evolutions. (Students may fly our tower Weather and time permitting)
Tower Inspection – Structure Inspection – Bridge Inspection – Fire Service Emergency Scene Documentation and Training – Police Services Scene Documentation and Training Construction Site Inspection and Documentation – Arborists – Aerial Photography
- Pre Climb – May eliminate the need to climb – SAFETY
- Inspect Climbing Path
- Ladder Connections and Condition
- Inspect Ladder Climb Safety Connections
- Weld Inspection
- Lightning Strike Damage
- Connections – Stress clips and cable condition
- Insulator Condition
- Guywire Connections – Safety Wire Status
- Weather / Storm Damage – Determine if safe to climb
- Paint Condition – Color Condition – Faded still meet requirements
- Lighting Status and Condition
- Regulations, Requirements and Standards review
- Commercial Operations Review
- Definitions and Types of SUAV Drones
- Flight Operations, class discussion and review:
- Owner’s Manual Review
- FAA Requirements
- Initial Operation Experience and Flight Supervision
- Standard Inspection – Site – Route – Data – Documentation
- Expected Outcome – Flight Recording and Video Data
- Flight Operation of Aircraft – Flight Checks – Procedures
- Flight Operations Documentation
- Flight Simulation Time – Class
- Actual flight time around our training tower (weather and time permitting)
- “Target Practice” Find all of our 10 “targets” on the tower to hone your pilot skills and video skills (weather and time permitting)
- Review how to best organize, use and store your footage.
- Complete two written tests (OSHA Tower authorized Person and NATE Unmanned Aerial Systems Operations Around Vertical Communications Infrastructure certifications)
What you Receive when you successfully completed course
- Certificate of Successful Completion
- Photo ID Certification w/ Certification Numbers
- Copies of all the Job Briefing Sheets
- Copies of all the Test results
Frequently Asked Questions
As of June 21, 2016 the Standards and requirements have changed. Here are a few links of the standards, regulations and requirements we follow:
TRS offers that service as well. We can come to your site, conduct and complete the video inspection, data input, documentation, logging and supply you with a complete, highest quality professional documented project. All for a competitive price. Call 719-966-9922 for details.
No – If you are a certified climber, Great… It is not a requirement. See next question if you would like to be…
Yes – We are willing and able travel to your location. Call for details.
We do have a minimum cost for the training. We can advertise a class on a specific date with openings to fill the course. If needed we have a minimum flat rate cost we charge. We then can host the course for one, two or three students.
YES – Great question – We can have you sign up for our 2 day Authorized Climber / Rescuer and add a 3rd day of Drone Pilot Training to your course. Because several of the regulations and tower site inspection training crosses over we can combine the training together completing both in a customized 24 hour training course. (Drone Included Price will be adjusted accordingly) Course Student minimum and maximum will apply. Call 719-966-9922 for details.
No – The new standards, regulations and requirements (Part 107) now make it clearer and more comprehensive to follow and understand. Listed below is a link to their new website:
Yes and No
Yes, if you are not trained. The technology is amazing, however, because the commercial application of flying around structures, training is imperative. Proper training involves several key components:
- Understanding the regulations
- Pre Flight Review and Drone Inspection
- Site Job Briefings
- Actual Flying time to learn how to fly the remote controlled UAV
- Simulator time is a significant opportunity in learning how to fly without the risk of an expensive crash
No, Because of the technology allows for a much faster learning curve
- Drones with “Safe Mode” helps in learning referencing and the stability
- GPS and Connectivity Technology
- Also, the cost has come down to a point that if a crash occurs, you are not out $3000.00 to $10,000.00
- Not much, and a lot depending on their designed use.
- Some say a Drone is a unmanned remote controlled aircraft operated by the military for surveillance or to carry weapons
- Some say the correct reference to a small unmanned aircraft with 4 blades is a quadcopter – Mainly considered a hobby SUAV
- Bottom line… The term Drone is accepted universally for UAV Hobby, Commercial or Military.
Why is TRS Training Different?
Real World Application
I (Steve Fleming) will be your Drone Pilot Instructor. I established TRS in 1986 and have taught adults in Emergency Services, Fall Protection, Construction and the Tower Climbing Industry for over 37 years.
Licensed as a FAA Pilot
As a licensed Glider and Single Engine Pilot have the skills and knowledge to share with you how the Commercial Drone Pilot and FAA can work together.
Experience in Actual Tower Climbing Work
As a Competent Climber / Rescuer Instructor and Commercial Tower Climber I can share the way tower climbers and Drone pilots can work together.
Our Training Facility
We have a 100’ three leg self-supporting tower with 10 “training targets” and an actual antenna to hone your Drone Pilot skills within 15 steps from the classroom. We also have a large screen computer simulator for the “ground school”.
COST & SAFETY
Our TRS Drone Pilot Training course is priced to be very competitive and complete. With the technological improvements of this aerial video platform (Drone). Now, with the proper training, allows us to actually video stream, with incredible resolution; training, construction sites, emergency scenes, aerial photography, structures, bridges and towers at height. With this equipment and training you can often eliminate, or lower, the number of times a climber needs to climb. Safety like this, is invaluable.
2 Day Course
Class Size Limit: 3 Min – 6 Max
Teams of more than 4 may be eligible for a group Discount.