Drone Pilot Tower/Structure Inspection
NOW Online via Teleconference
Introducing our Updated Online via Teleconference
UAS Tower / Structure Inspection Certification Course
Unmanned Aerial Systems Operations Around Vertical Communications Infrastructure
Our 16 hour interactive teleconference training course offers our students, who successfully pass, National Association of Tower Erectors compliant certification training “Tower Inspection Drone Pilot” certifications.
This training course is not “just online”…
All of our instructors have been involved with, and formally trained on, “how to conduct a successful, interactive, educational and fun” teleconference training program over many years. We involve, and encourage, the students with conversations, reviews, question and answer sessions. Note our class sizes are small… 3 to 6 is our average student limit. This allows for a more interactive and productive learning experience. We utilize more than just PowerPoint… we discuss and review actual tower inspection photos, videos and much more (see class outline below). Portions of the training is in our facility showing and reviewing our UAV’s, cameras, screen shots and equipment examples. Our class offers plenty of time for our students to share their examples and “what they have learned” throughout the training. Our teleconference sessions are limited to no more than 3 hours each. Most sessions are 2 to 2.5 hours with plenty of breaks. We also have several hours of assigned “off line” study projects and assignments for each student.
Bit of Background
Technical Rescue Systems has been training fall protection safety and rescue since 1986, Telecommunication climber safety and rescue since 2000 and UAS/Drone tower inspection pilot training for since 2014. We have quickly learned the incredible value the UAS/Drone aerial imagery offers to the safety of our tower climbers and the documentation / data uses. The technology is growing exponentially and the business for experienced and educated Drone pilots is even more in demand. For those who complete our certification course will have an significant competitive edge over anyone in the UAS/Drone business.
Our students learn about what to expect on and around the telecommunications site. Types of towers, tower site safety, different types of operations, job safety analysis review, site hazards, technical terminology, RF hazards, what it takes to safely climb towers, climbing path and ladder climbing safety systems and more.
Also – Watch for our periodically scheduled “Introduction to UAS Tower / Structure Inspection Certification Course”. This is an Interactive /Informational Webinar. We will be sending out information emails, Blogs and Social Media Posts for the latest scheduling.
- Top 8 Reasons for Tower / Structure Inspections with a UAS
- Regulations, Requirements, Definitions and Standards review
- Tower Types, Differences, Inspection Examples and previous inspection flight review
- Tower Components, Hazards and Terminology
- Review UAV Types, Advantages, Disadvantages, limitations and “What’s new”
- “Flying Your Camera” Tips on managing still and video camera settings … What works and plenty of What doesn’t work…
- Flying “Skill Tips and Tricks”
- Review “How to Market Your Tower Inspection Drone Business”
- Review “Trusted Operator Program” manual (not required to purchase)
- Flight Operations, class discussion and review:
- Owner’s Manual Review
- FAA Requirements
- Initial Operation Experience and Flight Supervision
- Standard Inspection – Site – Route – Data – Documentation
- Expected Outcome – Flight Recording and Video Data
- Flight Operation of Aircraft – Flight Checks – Procedures
- Flight Operations Documentation
- Flight Simulation Time – Class (if applicable)
- Review how to best organize, use and store your footage… plus Post Production reviews and options
- Complete written test “Unmanned Aerial Systems Operations Around Vertical Communications Infrastructure” certification
Frequently Asked Questions
As of June 21, 2016 the Standards and requirements have changed. Here are a few links of the standards, regulations and requirements we follow:
TRS offers that service as well. We can come to your site, conduct and complete the video inspection, data input, documentation, logging and supply you with a complete, highest quality professional documented project. All for a competitive price. Call 719-966-9922 for details.
No – If you are a certified climber, Great… It is not a requirement. See next question if you would like to be…
Yes – We are willing and able travel to your location. Call for details.
We do have a minimum cost for the training. We can advertise a class on a specific date with openings to fill the course. If needed we have a minimum flat rate cost we charge. We then can host the course for one, two or three students.
YES – Great question – We can have you sign up for our 2 day Authorized Climber / Rescuer and add a 3rd day of Drone Pilot Training to your course. Because several of the regulations and tower site inspection training crosses over we can combine the training together completing both in a customized 24 hour training course. (Drone Included Price will be adjusted accordingly) Course Student minimum and maximum will apply. Call 719-966-9922 for details.
No – The new standards, regulations and requirements (Part 107) now make it clearer and more comprehensive to follow and understand. Listed below is a link to their new website:
Yes and No
Yes, if you are not trained. The technology is amazing, however, because the commercial application of flying around structures, training is imperative. Proper training involves several key components:
- Understanding the regulations
- Pre Flight Review and Drone Inspection
- Site Job Briefings
- Actual Flying time to learn how to fly the remote controlled UAV
- Simulator time is a significant opportunity in learning how to fly without the risk of an expensive crash
No, Because of the technology allows for a much faster learning curve
- Drones with “Safe Mode” helps in learning referencing and the stability
- GPS and Connectivity Technology
- Also, the cost has come down to a point that if a crash occurs, you are not out $3000.00 to $10,000.00
- Not much, and a lot depending on their designed use.
- Some say a Drone is a unmanned remote controlled aircraft operated by the military for surveillance or to carry weapons
- Some say the correct reference to a small unmanned aircraft with 4 blades is a quadcopter – Mainly considered a hobby SUAV
- Bottom line… The term Drone is accepted universally for UAV Hobby, Commercial or Military.
Why is TRS Training Different?
Real World Application
I (Steve Fleming) will be your Drone Pilot Instructor. I established TRS in 1986 and have taught adults in Emergency Services, Fall Protection, Construction and the Tower Climbing Industry for over 37 years.
Licensed as a FAA Pilot
As a licensed Glider and Single Engine Pilot have the skills and knowledge to share with you how the Commercial Drone Pilot and FAA can work together.
Experience in Actual Tower Climbing Work
As a Competent Climber / Rescuer Instructor and Commercial Tower Climber I can share the way tower climbers and Drone pilots can work together.
COST & SAFETY
Our TRS Drone Pilot Training course is priced to be very competitive and complete. With the technological improvements of this aerial video platform (Drone). Now, with the proper training, allows us to actually video stream, with incredible resolution; training, construction sites, emergency scenes, aerial photography, structures, bridges and towers at height. With this equipment and training you can often eliminate, or lower, the number of times a climber needs to climb. Safety like this, is invaluable.
What you Receive when you successfully completed course
- Certificate of Successful Completion
- Photo ID Certification w/ Certification Numbers
- Copies of all discussion notes and recorded sessions (that apply)
- Copies of all the Test results
Certification Course Now Online via Teleconference….
4 – Teleconference Sessions
4 hours Student Assignments and Review
16 hours Total
Morning – Afternoon – Evening – Weekdays – Weekends … We will work with your schedule.
Class Size Limit: 3 Min – 6 Max
Teams of more than 3 may be eligible for a group Discount. Call for details….
Introduction Tuition Cost : $495
Introduction Prices end October 31st 2020……………
Great News!….. We have had such great success with this new format we are going to extend the
“Introduction Price” to January 2021 !